Monday, August 24, 2009

Spicy Steak Tacos


One of the things I love doing is trying out new recipes. I have to tell you that it is amazing that God blessed me with a man who does not mind eating new things EVERY WEEK! Well, I happened to pick up a copy of "Everyday with Rachel Ray" and found a recipe for Steak Tacos that I just had to try. I mean, just look at the picture - it makes me hungry just looking at it!
The short version of the recipe is that in a plastic bag you marinade about a pound of skirt steak in a mixture of cola, olive oil, lime juice, chili powder and salt. I marinaded it for 2 hours and it worked out great. Then you grill the steak - my hubby is "king of the grill" so this was his job. While he was grilling I was dicing tomatoes, onion, jalepenos, and cilantro to mix together in a bowl and form a salsa. When the meat was off the grill we thinly sliced it and mixed it in with the salsa mixture - adding a little more lime juice. Now the real recipe calls for hard taco shells, but we found we liked it better with taco sized tortillas. Instead of lettuce, put slaw in the taco with a slice of avocado and then top with the steak and salsa mixture.
Oh my gosh! It was SO good! I have to admit though, that next time I will put less jalepenos in the salsa because it was just a little more spicy then anticipated, but nonetheless great! The exact recipe can be found at http://www.rachaelraymag.com/ if you are interested. I would advise checking it out on her site because she gives measurments for the recipe, which I didn't look up and just did my own thing based off the article in the magazine.
We had friends over for dinner that evening and after telling my friend what I was making she decided she wanted to bring over a key lime pie -which just topped everything off. We also decided to make margaritas to go with it and those tied everything together perfectly!
This instantly became a hit at my house when my husband exclaimed, "I would order this in a restaurant!" Needless to say, this is one recipe I will have to keep around after receiving a compliment like that! Plus it's healthy...makes it even more yummy!

No comments: