Monday, July 19, 2010

Fried Taters with Hotdogs and Fish Tacos

I'm so excited right now! It is half past midnight and I'm up baking cookies for my hubby to take out on location tomorrow. Why does this excite me? Well, because I love to bake, and when Beau was working for the frac company here I would always make yummy treats for him to take so he and the rest of the crew could have something to snack on for the rest of the day. When Beau changed jobs that stopped because he was so far away. Now that he's back I am able to start doing this again - although I have to wait for big jobs to come up so there are plenty of guys to help him eat all the goodies. Okay, so that's why I'm excited.

Now, baking cookies has absolutely nothing to do with the title of this blog post. That's because it's not tied together in any way, shape or form - except for the fact that they both have to do with cooking. Okay - so tonight for dinner I made a new recipe from The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook - Fish Tacos. And, to go with it, I decided to make fried taters with hotdogs. I know, the main dish was healthy whereas the side isn't...I'm not sure about you but I think that makes a balanced meal. Actually, the reason I decided on fried taters with hotdogs is because I needed something my 2 1/2 year old would eat - or at least have an interest in eating. You will be happy to know that it worked! He loved the dish!

In response to the inquiries I had about the recipe on facebook, I have decided to include both recipes in this post in case you are looking for something new and unique to cook for your family at dinnertime!

Fish Tacos

Ingredients:
Mini Tortillas
1 lb. Fish, thawed (Your choice - I used Tilipia)
Seasoning of Your Choice (I used Creole Seasoning)
Olive Oil
Coleslaw with Orange-Cilantro Vinaigrette (See Below)
Fresh Pico de Gallo or salsa (Optinal)

Directions:
1. Lightly coat both sides of fish fillets with olive oil and season.
2.Lightly coat a skillet with olive oil and heat until oil sizzles.
3. Add fish fillet to hot skillet and cook - usually a total of 5 minutes is good (remember to turn fish every now and then).
4.Once fish is cooked chop into smaller pieces and place in a dish on the side.
5. Spread coleslaw with orange-cilantro vinaigrette onto a mini tortilla, top with cooked fish and pico de gallo.
6. Enjoy!

Coleslaw with Orange-Cilantro Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
1 Bag of Coleslaw (with green cabbage, red onion and carrots)
1/4 c. fat-free plain yogurt
1/2 c. light mayonnaise
1/4 c. 100% orange juice
3 T. white vingar
1 1/2 t. honey
1/3 c. freshly chopped cilantro
Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions:
1. In a bowl mix yogurt, mayonnaise, orange juice, vinegar and honey.
2. Mix in the bag of coleslaw and cilantro.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Refrigerate at least 3 hours - or to speed the process (like I did) you can place in the freezer for a shorter amount of time.
5. Serve and enjoy. This will stay good in the frige for 2-3 days.

Fried Taters with Hotdogs

Ingredients:
4 Average Sized Potatoes, peeled (can be any kind - russet, new potatoes, red potatoes, etc..)
3 Hotdogs, cut into small pieces
Olive Oil

Directions:
1. Pour ample amount of olive oil into skillet and heat until it sizzles.
2. Slice the potatoes into very thin slices - then cut slices into quarters.
3. Once the oil is heated, add the potatoes.
4. Turn the potatoes over every now and then.
5. Once the potatoes begin to brown on both sides, add the hotdogs.
5. Cook until the potatoes are soft and brown and the hotdogs are cooked through.
6. Enjoy!

I hope you enjoy these recipes. Please remember the first two were originally taken from The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. I took the pleasure of amending these to fit my personal needs. This basically means I found a way to make it simpler. The last recipe is one that has been passed down from my mother to me - and I have a feeling it is a pretty common dish in Oklahoma!

1 comment:

RH said...

Hi, Nice post! Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

Thanks!

Harry
harry.roger10@gmail.com