Monday, July 5, 2010

Long Drive Ahead

Well, this coming Friday my family and I will be heading to Huntsville, Alabama for my cousin's wedding! While I am excited for the wedding and to see the family again, I am not looking forward to the 13 hour drive with my 2 1/2 year old chatterbox. I'm not at all worried about the first 6 or so hours of the drive as we're planning to leave really early while he's sleeping - it's the last 6-7 hours that I'm a little worried about.

I know I'm not the only one out there who has had the fun of driving a long time with a toddler. So, any advice you have would be great. Here's what I'm planning to do: First, we're riding with my mom and dad and they have a DVD player in the van - so, Hastings here I come! I'm going to stock up on movies my little one hasn't seen to keep him interested. I'm also planning on hitting up Dollar Tree or some other store that carries cheap toys. I will get a bag full of these cheap toys and periodically throughout the drive pull a new one out. Also, a must-have on my list is a bag full of snacks to help keep him content.

For those of you who are like me and don't have a lot of experience of traveling with children...or, maybe you do, but are looking for new road-traveling ideas to keep the kids occupied, I have found a great article with many ideas! You can read it here: http://www.wejustgotback.com/default.aspx?mod=tips_road.

1 comment:

Brown Family said...

all the things you said your going to do is exactly what we do. We have a portable DVD player for Kobe and that usually is enough to keep him occupied. And here lately just looking around at all the new things to see keeps his interest for a bit too. :) Good luck be safe and have fun :)